Monday, April 6, 2009

First Steps Revisited

I often myself reading my mother's blog, www.elvaalonso.com, searching for answers and for some type of truth to get me through the daily decisions and trials every day. While I know college life is far from real life (even though my parents swear I don't know it yet; they are probably right), there are still stresses and problems that seem to consume and wreck my weekly schedule far beyond comprehension. My mother's wisdom and advice help get me through these times, but I'm not gonna lie, nothing goes further than a hug or a kiss to brighten my day. While I can't really get that from a loved one being so far away, I find myself clinging to my mother's words far more often than I used to. I used to listen to my mother for sure, but I've noticed how her advice and knowledge always seems new and makes so much sense now. It's like finding that treasure chest after searching and digging a hole for yourself for so long. When I talk to her, the hole opens up, and the treasure is revealed. Now, that sounds awfully corny and cheesy, but I can't stress the importance of talking to your parents and actually getting to that point where you're comfortable enough to talk about anything and take their advice to the heart. I've benefited much from this over the last three years and my mami has helped me through some tough situations as well as see different perspectives even when I feel blinded. All I need to hear is her reassuring voice or read her beautiful words, and I instantly feel calmed, as if I were a baby listening to Brahm's lullaby again.

I won't understand what it means to be a parent until I get to that point, but I can imagine the stress that they must go through as well - to say the right words, to lead but not force, and to set the example day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job, that's for sure. And while a child's first steps are usually away from the parents, I can assure you that the steps all lead back to you, Mami. Every decision I make, I make by listening to your words and following in the path that your footsteps have made. And even though the torch may be passing, your flame will never extinguish in my life. I love you, Mamonsillo! :)

2 comments:

  1. Raquel, I am humbled by how much credit you give me. When I was your age, I assumed my mother had all the answers; she always seemed so wise. Now that I am her age, I realize how confused she must have been. I am on the same journey as you, only farther along on the road....The best advise I can impart is to be honest with yourself and others. Don't ever be afraid to admit that you don't always have the answer.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts...I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give you the credit because you deserve the credit. And I guess mothers always seem to have all the right answers, I know I feel like you do! Advice you give me usually a so much more weight than anyone else I know. Thanks for the advice again, love you more!!

    ReplyDelete