Monday, April 20, 2009

Must Haves

After chatting with a friend today for awhile about life, its perils, and how to make relationships work, I was given some great advice. Although I don't agree with a yearly "evaluation," there does need to be some type of analysis and understanding of the other person when you are together. So as per his advice, he made me think of my own "Must Have's" in a relationship and my "Should Haves". The Must Haves are the things you cannot sacrifice - the things that will make or break a boyfriend if he/she doesn't have it. I've realized with time things that should have been on my Must Have list that weren't before. The Should Haves are things that your significant other should have, but doesn't necessarily need. These are the things you compromise on and give a little on because let's face it - no one is perfect. :) Here is my list of Must and Should Haves - it'll definitely change with time, but for now this works.

A Man Must Have/Be:
  • the desire to be a father and have a family
  • be a Christian and want to raise his children with Christian values
  • determination, drive to succeed, and goals
  • understanding of me emotionally
  • respect for me
  • social, friendly
  • have his own circle of friends outside of our mutual friends
  • confidence in himself, but soft on the inside
  • humble and compassionate
  • able to dance with me no matter how good/bad you are - grinding is necessary :)
  • ability to engage me intellectually & physically
  • financially stability, or at least working towards this

A Man Should Have/Be:
  • the want to raise his kids in a suburb
  • the desire to send his kids to a private school
  • a liking Hispanic food
  • some hair on his body - armpits (*coughRudolphcough*) lol
  • be bigger and taller than me
  • an understanding of Latino culture
  • basic understanding of Spanish

2 comments:

  1. Long list of "must haves." I should have done that..:-)Some of those items are inspired by the mind, and others by the heart. That's probably a wise mix! Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah... definitely long, but I think it's just a changing list as time progresses and as I know more about myself and others. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete