Saturday, October 10, 2009

"You look amazing!"

My weight loss has done wonders for my endurance, health, body image, confidence, and dancing. I can honestly say that I am as small as I was in 8th grade when I lost 30 lbs the summer after 7th grade. I feel good - more importantly I feel healthy. I feel like I can actually accomplish things I couldn't before - lift weights, run a mile in 11 minutes, dance for hours without being tired. Health-wise I am happy. But there's this little part of me that still makes me feel upset every now and again. While I appreciate all the compliments and they fuel my motivation to continue, I can't help but feel curious and upset over the fact that I never really received compliments like that in the past. Ok so I am "beautiful," "amazing," and "gorgeous" now but what was I before? Ugly? I never really thought that I looked horrible before and maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I can tell you that these men were not trying to holla at me before. Now that I lost the weight you think you're worth my time? Try again. It just goes to show you that looks really matter a lot in this society. It sucks. I always think of it as a compliment when people tell me I look amazing or beautiful now, but I always have that thought in my mind... what was I before? Why am I only these things now that I've lost 75 lbs? Oh well... just a thought.

2 comments:

  1. This must only be directed towards men, because I've ALWAYS thought of you as beautiful:)
    Unfortunately men are very visually geared...but there are always those that see more than the outter beauty; those are the ones that are worthwhile. You are still the same person, and you are right, anyone who treats you differently, is NOT worth your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. let's talk about this in person. i'd like to share my experience about this with you. it definitely traumatized me after i lost 100 pounds in high school. fb message me.

    --tu tocaya

    ReplyDelete